The future energy needs of the Pilbara are being met with the Western Australian State Government investing more than $23 million through Horizon Power to upgrade the 132kV Transmission Line between Karratha and Dampier. State Government’s $23.8 million investment for the upgrade of the Karratha to Dampier 132kV Transmission Line. The Transmission Line is a critical piece of electrical infrastructure in the Pilbara which connects the Karratha terminal substation to the Dampier substation. The upgrade will reinforce the ageing infrastructure and ensure the security of supplies on the North West Interconnected System (NWIS) well into the future.
The works will compromise of the following;
- Two hundred old wooden poles will be removed and replaced with steel poles in a new configuration which means the number of poles will be reduced by 65%, improving town aesthetics with the removal of more than 200 poles.
- The work will consist of replacing approximately 15 kilometres of aged equipment on the existing 19km Transmission Line.
- A section of the line near the Karratha Airport Terminal will be undergrounded.
The phases of the works are as follows;
- Design and Procurement Stage
- Dismantling Old Line
- Clearing, Surveying and Setting-Out Stage
- Bulk Earthworks Pad Construction
- Foundation Construction Stage
- Pole Erection Stage
- Transmission Underground Cable Installation
- Stringing amd Cut-In Stage
- Commissioning and Handover Stage